March 23, 2020
In these unprecedented times, the Central Market Trust is committed to maintaining the core functions of Lancaster Central Market: serving as a fresh food source for the Lancaster community.
To ensure this continues throughout this coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19), the Trust is evaluating market operations on a near-daily basis to identify ways to adapt operations in a manner which maintains the delicate balance between the public health concerns in our community and providing access to fresh food from standholders our customers know and trust.
Accordingly, this week the Lancaster Central Market will be open for business on Tuesday (3/24) and Friday (3/27) during the hours of 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Central Market will not be open on Saturday (3/28).
To support the practice of social distancing, the number of customers in Central Market at any one time will be limited. To that end, we ask that all customers enter through one of two designated doorways – one off Penn Square adjacent to the Visitor Center and off Market Street adjacent to Lancaster Dispensing Company. A team member will be stationed at the doors to monitor the flow of customers.
Because of these restrictions, we ask our customers to send a single shopper to obtain all needed items helping to minimize any delays and inconvenience for other customers.
We would also like to remind customers of other ‘best practices’ defined by public health experts:
• Refrain from touching food displayed at any stand and food cases. When the standholder is serving you, simply point to the items you would like to purchase.
• We still encourage you to be environmentally friendly by bringing reusable bags to Market, however, we ask that you fill these bags with items purchased after they are handed to you by the standholder.
• Maintain a safe social distance from others of 6 feet.
• Wash/sanitize your hands frequently and minimize touching surfaces in the Market. Sinks are located in our restrooms.
• You will find a list of best practices provided by the PA Department of Health here
Finally, we encourage customers to regularly check our Facebook page and blog for updates including information about open stands and alternative pre-order and delivery options.
We all look forward to the time when things can return to normal; when we can all gather as a community at Lancaster Central Market. Until that time comes, the Central Market Trust thanks you for your continued support and understanding. Together we can do this!
The Central Market Trust