Keep Our Distance – With Our Doors Open
March 17, 2020
A message from Brenda Buescher, Chair of the Central Market Trust:
Central Market is more than a historic landmark or a tourist attraction. Above all, we are your fresh food market. We are an essential source of fresh and healthy foods for the community, including those using SNAP benefits and those who may not have vehicles to travel outside the City.
At this time, we will be open regular hours, but we are taking precautions for everyone’s safety.
I am the Chair of the Board for the Central Market Trust, and I also happen to be a health professional. It has been my life’s work to protect public health, and I will do everything I can to keep Market safe and healthy for everyone under our roof.
Our standholders are professionals who practice healthy habits every day for food safety. Since the first cases of COVID-19 were announced in the U.S., we have intensified our cleaning practices, posted health education signs around the building, and educated our community about ways to stay healthy.
Now, we have a unique challenge before us. Public health experts, including me, recommend that we practice social distancing – in other words, taking steps to avoid close contact with other people.
We are taking these actions to keep Central Market safe and healthy during this time:
· Remember the first rules of prevention: wash your hands regularly, cover your cough or sneeze with your elbow or a tissue, and stay home if you are sick.
· Standholders have the option to close. Please check Facebook and our website for daily updates about individual stands.
· Greet your favorite standholders with a wave and a smile, NOT a handshake or a hug.
· If your entire family usually comes to Market together, send one person to shop for your usual items instead.
· Please plan to take your items to go. We will be removing our seating areas until further notice.
· Consider making one weekly trip to stock up on the items you need instead of visiting every Market day.
· Avoid touching counters and refrigerator cases as much as possible. We are cleaning all high-touch surfaces frequently, and propping doors open whenever the weather allows.
· Ask standholders before handling merchandise. They will be happy to assist you.
· Please leave reusable containers at home for now. Stands may choose not to accept reusable containers at this time.
Please follow us on Facebook or visit our website for the latest information.
Thank you to our Market family. We are privileged to serve you.